How to open a bank account
Currently it is hard to imagine functioning without a bank account, as it significantly facilitates many payments. We can choose from many types of accounts, and banks even offer accounts for children, so almost everyone can have one. Its establishment is trivial, although not everyone realizes that a visit to the bank branch is not the only possibility of setting it up. In addition, there is still the matter of choosing a bank, which will meet our expectations. So How to open a bank account and in which?
What documents are needed to open such an account?
Let's start with the basic things, i.e. what we will need to open an account. Currently, banks are trying to make the whole procedure as simple as possible, so the only thing we will need is a document confirming identity. Ideally, an identity card or passport, but in some banks a driver's license or school ID card will suffice. Apart from a document confirming your identity you will also need a phone number and an e-mail address. It is worth mentioning that we do not have to show any certificates, so such an account can be opened even by a person without a regular income.
4 ways to open a bank account
We can open an account in the bank in several different ways, although not in every bank all will be available. Most often, however, we will meet with 4 possibilities for opening an account, that is:
- over the internet,
- at a bank branch
- over the phone,
- in the bank's mobile application.
Through the Internet
Let's start with the most convenient one, that is how to open a bank account via the Internet.
- At the very beginning we should choose the bank in which we want to open an account. There are many factors that can affect the final decision, so it is worth thinking carefully about it. Sometimes a free bank account is enough, and sometimes we need additional options, for example. free withdrawals from all ATMs in the world. If we already know what we actually need we should check the ranking of bank accounts to choose the most advantageous offer. Thanks to this we will save a lot of time comparing the offers on our own.
- After selecting the account we are interested in we only need to fill in the form, which usually is divided into several pages.In such an application we must provide basic information about ourselves, i.e. name, surname, date and place of birth, PESEL, telephone number, e-mail address etc. There is also information about the identity document (series, number, expiration date). At the very end you only have to accept the terms and conditions and the table of fees and charges.
- The next step is just concluding a contract with the bank. We can do this by signing the agreement delivered by courier, which then takes and delivers it to the bank or by verification transfer (or video verification).
That is all, although it is worth mentioning that not all banks allow you to conclude an agreement via verification transfer or video verification. The agreement delivered by courier is still the most common practice when it comes to opening an account via the Internet.
After verification the bank will activate the account and inform us about it by means of a message sent to the e-mail address or to the phone (SMS). Of course, if you have ordered a payment card for your account you will receive it within a few days with detailed instructions on how to activate it.
In a bank branch
Opening an account in a bank branch is the oldest method of opening an account, which with the development of technology is slowly becoming forgotten. Why? People are accustomed to convenience and the fact that everything can be done over the Internet. Why should we waste time getting to the branch, and sometimes even in line at the counter?. In addition to this there is the issue of opening hours, and unfortunately these are not always suitable. That is why opening a bank account via the Internet seems to be a much better solution.
Over the phone
Most banks also allow you to open a bank account through a call center, although this is not a very popular method. The whole process involves a telephone conversation with a bank employee, during which we have to provide all the information necessary to draw up an agreement. The signing of the agreement itself, as in the case of opening a bank account online, will be done with the help of a courier, who will deliver it and collect (signed).
Through a mobile application
At the end there is one more interesting possibility – opening a bank account by means of a mobile application. Virtually every major bank in Poland has its own mobile application that also allows you to open an account. Deciding on this method we have to download and install on the phone application of the selected bank. Then we choose the option of opening a new account and follow the instructions displayed on the screen.
Which account to open?
Undoubtedly, the most popular bank account is the personal account, but we can also open other accounts that may prove useful in specific situations.
A personal account is a basic account, without which it is difficult to imagine functioning. Thanks to it we can make online payments and pay by card in stores.
Savings account, as the name suggests helps to save money. Thanks to interest rate we can count on additional funds appearing on the account.
Account for young people is a great solution for minors, but it can also be opened by slightly older people (usually until graduation – then we have to change it to a basic account).
In which bank to open it?
It is hard to give a definite answer to this question because there are many factors that can have a significant impact on the choice of the bank. Whether you're opening an account because you don't have one yet or you're just changing banks for some reason, there are a few things to consider.
Not everyone knows, but banks are constantly trying to convince customers by organizing various promotions. For just opening an account you can get even several hundred zlotys, if you know when and where to open it. You should take into account current bank promotions and take them into account when deciding to open an account.
Of course, the promotions themselves are not everything. There are other issues worth considering, such as:
- location of. Although we do not have to visit the bank every day it is good if the branch is in the same city. It is also worth noting the location of ATMs (unless we have free withdrawals from all of them),
- access to electronic banking services. Currently probably every bank offers access to the account via the Internet, but still not every bank has a good mobile application, which is really useful,
- bank accounts of closest family. It may not be that important, but having an account in the same bank we can count on instant transfers, which can sometimes be useful. Having accounts in different banks, choosing a standard transfer we have to reckon with the fact that the money on the account will not appear immediately (check: when will the transfer arrive),
- fees. Of course, the basic bank account, after meeting certain conditions (not very demanding) is free of charges, but some accounts (if we have special requirements eg. withdrawals from all ATMs in the world) may charge them, so you should take this into account.
How did you set up your accounts and in which bank? Share your opinion in the comments.